Friday, February 22, 2008

Tax time

If I'm going to avoid my work, why not do other essential work... like taxes. Boy, what an ordeal that can be. But all those numbers, all in a row, is sort of satisfying to my organization-oriented mind. Order versus entropy, right? Sigh.

Totally boring and probably not useful to anyone else, but this is my own repository, too, so here it is. Tax information. It was hard to find.

General instructions Forms 1099 and a bunch of other forms in 2007: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099gi_07.pdf. See page GEN-16, and look for 1099 misc.

The important part for me is the 1099-misc, which is what I need to provide to my subcontractors who earn more than $600.00. (Every time I think of you gals, who rescued me last year when I was facing more surgery, I give a little prayer of thanks.) This makes me feel very official; I am a big enough freelancer to hire subcontractors. Heh heh heh... only it was more of a rescue than being a Big Shot, wasn't it?

Ordering IRS tax forms online (because some of them are posted on the Internet as "Information Only" forms in red ink and they threaten a $50.00 penalty if you submit a non-scannable form. Grr.): http://www.irs.gov/businesses/page/0,,id=23108,00.html

In an attempt to make this post a little bit useful, here is a list of items that can be counted for tax deductions for freelancers. Remember, a portion of your home can be deducted if it is set aside purely for business. So that percentage of mortgage, utilities, etc. count. But I'd better stop with the tax advice and give a big fat disclaimer... I rely on a man who has a Master's Degree in Taxation to back me up. (Can you imagine? That kind of dedication is stupendous.) Anyway, these are the items I keep track of every year. How fun.

Tax Deductible Receipts
Box Rental: PO Box
Box Rental: Safety deposit box
Charity Donations
Home; house cleaning service
Home: insurance
Home: landscaping
Home: maintenance
Home: utilities
Home: Improvements (like my solar and water harvesting efforts this year)
Investment expenses
Medical: doctors
Medical: drugs
Medical: eyes (glasses, contacts, supplies)
Property taxes
Taxes paid (IRS, AZ)
Volunteer, expenses related to
Work: Computer equipment
Work: Conference fees
Work: Contest fees
Work: Office supplies
Work: Postage
Work: Professional dues/subscriptions
Work: Professional insurance
Work: Research costs
Work: Subcontractors
Work: Tax preparation fees
Work: Telephone charges
Work: Travel

Mileage Medical
Mileage Volunteer
Mileage Work
Mileage Tax
Mileage Investment
(MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com/) is the greatest to help you figure out precise mileage to your doctor, your pharmacy, the place where you had a meeting with your agent, your tax preparer's office, the places where you did volunteer work, etc. Don't forget to note your total mileage for the entire year.)

Now here is my most sincere wish that any taxes I pay are directed to education and social services. I do not want a red cent of my money to go toward this debacle in Iraq. God bless our service men and women, and BRING THEM HOME as soon as possible. Please.

No comments: