Monday, September 10, 2007

pain relief and continued absurdity

i'm home from the hospital. for two days, crushing headaches have not been the defining aspect of my existence.

my home health nurse came today; i'll meet an occupational therapist and physical therapist later in the week.

after all i've gone through over the past year and a half, my doc is being ultraconservative, so I'm on bedrest. i have to heal this time.

my lessons on true simplicity continue. i'll stay in bed and thank the stars that 61 days of severe spinal headache are over. post operative back pain seems like a breeze compared to that. but there will be no leaping for joy for a few more weeks or months. expressions of happiness must be confined to non-physical exuberance.

i hate to mention it, since i'm so grateful to be free from headaches, but my recovery is not without complications. I came home with a raging case of thrush. my doc called in a script and my mom took a cab to go pick it up, and i have my four times daily swish and spit added to the routine.

my mom is in town to help me out, but her back is out so she can't drive and is in terrible pain. she was sort of mad at me when i made her lunch today. it's just another note of irony in my experience.

all of this is absurd.

1 comment:

Amethyst said...

Hey, Heather! It's really, really good to hear your headache-free voice.