Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Questions about desert composting

My friend just started composting at her new place... I'm going to add her questions to my own blog, since composting is my "thing" and see if I can address them, answering her inquiries and maybe informing others as well.

Questions Specific to Composting in the Desert/ Tucson:
1. Has anyone figured out if this is really worthwhile, considering that I am having to water my compost pile with precious ground water every other day or so?
2. How do I know if I am keeping the pile moist enough? In general, how do I know if I am tending my compost pile correctly for maximum results?
3. Any tricks for keeping the pile moist enough?
4. What kinds of bugs and critters are normal to expect around a compost pile? I know I should be on the lookout for neighborhood cats, but is there anything else I should worry about? I've got lots of ants and other miscellaneous little bugs. I also noticed some weird chrysalises (sp?) They were about 1 1/2" in diameter, white with a red tip on one end, curled into a circle and looked nasty-- some kind of beetle or something? Hopefully not cockroaches? Ew.


If any readers have suggestions, feel free to chime in!

Stay tuned for more information!

In the meantime, I addressed composting in a previous post: Compost Happens. There are some links to composting in that post, though I haven't checked them for link rot. I'll surely find more information in the quest for answers to these questions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Technicians for Sustainability
http://tfssolar.com/1767/composting-in-the-desert/

Composting in the Desert: (and plant sale)
Oct. 24, 2009, time TBA

St Marks Presbyterian Church View Larger Map 3809 E 3rd Street The garden is actually on 2nd Street, so park in the lot off 2nd.

Tucson Organic Gardeners is explaining all you need to know to get started in composting, to maintain your compost, use your compost and even help your neighbors. Bring all your questions too. They'll have a plant sale at the same time.

Cost: $10 TOG members $15 non-members

Call TOGs info line, 670-9158 and leave a message if you will be attending

Anonymous said...

Tucson Organic Gardeners provides information on composting in the desert. They also have various composters available. They have informative documents, do demonstrations and lectures, and they're cool.
http://www.tucsonorganicgardeners.org/compostinginformation.htm