Monday, March 3, 2008

More wisdom from an old book; thanks, Mom

I wrote,
Hi, Mom,
Just wondering if you could send me citation info for the book you got those great quotes from. I'd like to share them and my scholarly librarian self says Not without a full citation...

Only if it's not too much trouble...
Thanks,
Heather

Mom replied:
They came from a 1927 book printed by the famous Roycrofters Press called The Note Book of Elbert Hubbard. The book is a work of art, but lacks attribution for the quotes -which bothers me a bit too. Many of the words are Hubbard's - but not all of them .... Still - I love that old book.

Here are some more quotes from The Note Book of Elbert Hubbard: (notebook is two words in the title)

"When sympathy finds vent in vengeance and love takes the form of strife, who can say where it will end?"

"A retentive memory may be a good thing, but the ability to forget is the true token of greatness."

And my favorite because this applies to our children and grandchildren as well as friends: "A friend is Nature's masterpiece."

It's always fun to share these things with you.
Love, Mom

No comments: