Wednesday, March 5, 2008

More of that pesky pleonexia

Declutter your kitchen to improve your health: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/03/putting-your-kitchen-on-a-diet/ Peter Walsh, organization expert and author says, "All of us deal constantly with the urge to consume more. We spend too much, we buy too much, and we eat too much."

See the full New York Times article on clutter and health here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/01/health/01well.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

(In another NYT piece, Manny Weintraub, a former managing director and top-performing money manager for Neuberger Berman who formed his own investment advisory firm in late 2003, says, “Like your mother told you, the rule should be that if you don’t have anything nice to buy, don’t buy anything.”)

I've been exposed to this idea many times before, and I'm convinced that it works. Life gets better after a good sweep of unnecessary stuff into a box to take to Goodwill. Though I possess VERY little expertise on the subject, I like the Feng Shui principles about clutter and energy. I also like the idea that something I store in a closet might be so much happier with someone who will use and appreciate that object. Well, I'll be happier that way, whether or not my "stuff" has any emotion about where it lives.

I also like the idea of STOPPING consumption as much as I can. Honestly, what do I NEED that I don't already have? Funny how being in the hospital and then house-bound can make those "essential" trips to Costco seem so humorously indulgent now. I could use a bulk package of toilet paper, though...

No comments: