Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Yet more evidence that giving is good

Here is an interesting angle on charitable giving: there's something in it for ME. This is a thought-provoking article, though I'm sure it glosses over SOOOOO much and I'd like to read the entire study and look at the methodology and numbers for myself.

In any case, I'll take it as "good news" because the whole concept of giving and making a positive contribution makes innate sense to me, spiritually and/or in my caudate nucleus and nucleus accumbens. (The article states, "...[N]ew research from the University of Oregon finds that charity stimulates parts of the brain called the caudate nucleus and the nucleus accumbens, which are associated with meeting basic needs such as food and shelter—suggesting to the researchers that our brains know that giving is good for us.")

Duh-uh.

Giving Makes You Rich: New proof that it pays to be charitable.
by Arthur C. Brooks
November 2007 Issue
Portfolio.com © 2007 Condé Nast Inc.
http://www.portfolio.com/views/columns/2007/10/15/Charity-Makes-Wealth

Philanthropy Calculator
http://www.portfolio.com/interactive-features/2007/10/philanthropy-calculator

My report card, according to Brooks, even in this personally dismal economic year:
I donated approximately 1.86% of my income. I still donated a higher percentage of my income than the average person in the United States. That stimulated about 7% of my income. If everyone gave like me, the US economy would grow by 3%.

Boy howdy, look what I could do in a GOOD year.

No comments: