Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Next surgery: September 5th

i'm gonna peck out a short update... pardon the, uh, simplified nature of the msg.

next surgery scheduled for wednesday, sept 5 at 11 am, nw medical center... only 7 more days of my current curious condition before relief. i think i'll spare you the details and adjectives to describe the pain from this spinal headache.

i'm taking major doses of morphine and have been accepting the help of my friends to get to the toilet and shower and back to bed, but now it's time to bring in the pros.

i should be getting home health care nursing starting tomorrow to help me get through the week... all the benefits of hospitalization only in my own bed. nice. and maybe no more former bosses seeing me naked... though once you've gone there, i don't think you can go back. (wry grin)

the short version of the story is that i pulled an internal suture on july 19. went to hospital 2 days later for 5 days of 'pain management' and finally an mri to confirm that i had a cerebrospinal fluid leak. in the past weeks it has only gotten worse, so my dr will slice open the hump on my lower back, drain the fluid, and repair the leak. this ought to be a relatively minor surgery that will send me in the right direction for healing.

i'm full of gratitude for all of you who have helped me in so many ways... the food, the company, the practical tasks, laughter, local and remote emotional support and the rest...

this too shall pass.

this too shall pass.

No comments: